Nothing says summer like a juicy, round, soft peach. Just looking at them makes me think of long summer days, flowing skirts and car trips. Amazing! After few years ago after an exciting farmer’s market afternoon, I came up with this recipe after I bought the big box of organic peaches. In all of my peach-loving excitement I quickly came to the question; how many peaches can one eager lady eat? In order to avoid the oncoming rotten peach predicament (not sexy at all), I figured out what I believe to be a culinary triumph. Trust. I think I may have even swayed a man to fall in love with me once after eating my peaches. This stuff is potent! Individual results may vary.
I don’t often make dishes with alcohol but if rum was not used in this recipe, it would be called “Stewed Peaches”. The boozy really makes it pop but it can easily be eliminated for those seeking to avoid alcohol.
- 10 ripe peaches, de-stoned and cut into quarters
- ¼ cup of organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla powder
- (Vanilla extract if powder is not available)
- 1 good pinch of sea salt
- ½ tablespoon of Coconut oil
- ¼ cup of rum, I like Mount Gay Rum
- 3 tablespoons of water
- (Optional) ½ wild blueberries
- Turn stove top onto medium
- In a large frying pan or pot, toss in peaches with a 3 tablespoons of water
- Allow to cook for a couple of minutes, until the water starts bubbling
- Add the spices and salt
- Add in rum and coconut oil and blueberries if you are using them
- Turn to low and simmer
Cook for 5-30 minutes depending on your desire for firmness. Tastes outstanding with vegan coconut ice cream. Last for 4 days but it will be long gone before then.