This one is soo delicious, nutritious and easy to make. It is rich and satisfying for those cold, dark winter nights. You may like it so much that you never eat conventional Pate again. It is very important to use Organic mushrooms. All mushrooms are powerful suckers of pollutants from the body and the soil. Because of that that, you may not want the toxicity from pesticides, herbicides, fungicides found in conventional mushrooms. Mitake and Shitake are powerful immune stimulants. So much so that they are used in some cancer prevention protocols. Amazing and so flavourful!
VEGAN MUSHROOM PATE
- 1-2 large shallots, diced
- 10-15 shitakes, cleaned, chopped, de-stemmed
- 1 package of brown mushrooms, chopped, de-stemmed
- 1 package of mitake mushrooms
- 1.5 tbls. olive oil
- 1 tbls. of fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbls. of fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1 tbls. of balsamic vinegar
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2-3/4 cup of walnuts, soaked for 6 hours, rinsed twice, then drained well
- optional: 1 tbls. of brandy, sherry or red wine added along with the balsamic
- Heat frying pan to a medium low heat.
- Add olive oil and then shallots. Cook until translucent.
- Turn heat up to medium. Add all the mushrooms and cook for about 7-10 minutes (until they sweat and start to loose their structural integrity).
- Add in chopped rosemary and parsley. Cook until aromatic but does not turn black in colour.
- Add balsamic (and booze) and reduce temperature back down to medium-low for about 5 minutes.
- Cool Slightly
- Add to a Cuisinart with walnuts, and add additional salt and olive oil and balsamic (optional) until it has turned smooth and “chopped liver” looking or till desired richness.
- Serve warm. If you want to get extra fancy, you can fry some additional shallots to add to the top as a garnish.
Eat and enjoy!!!! This incredibly rich side dish is perfect on crackers, in an open-faced sandwich, to finish a vegetable soup, to serve with lamb or steak.